How to Change a Tire
Every driver will likely experience a flat tire at some point in their lives, whether it’s on the road or in the garage. Knowing how to change a tire is pertinent knowledge for any responsible car owner. We here at Crown Kia of Tyler know how to change a tire in the quickest way possible to get you back on the road in no time flat!
Removing the Tire
- Remove your spare tire and the tools required, generally a jack and lug nut wrench, from the trunk of your car. Make sure to turn on your hazard lights!
- Remove the hubcap if it’s covering the lug nuts.
- Loosen the lug nuts, but don’t remove them right away.
- Place the jack under the vehicle, and raise it about six inches to a foot above the ground. The owner’s manual will provide you with the best location to place the jack.
- Finish unscrewing the lug nuts with the wrench. You should be able to remove them by hand.
- Remove the flat tire by pulling it straight out.
Putting on the Spare
- Place the spare on the rim then push in until you can see the lug nuts.
- Tighten the lug nuts by hand. Don’t use the wrench just yet.
- Lower the vehicle until the spare tire is flush with the ground. Next, tighten the lug nuts with the wrench until they’re as tight as possible.
- Finish lowering the vehicle, remove the jack, and replace the hubcap. Stow the flat tire, jack, wrench, and any other tools in the trunk
- Check the spare’s air pressure, and get back on the road.